Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Today's Devotional

Thoughts on today's verse...
Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. ~Ephesians 5:1 NLT


That's a rather tall order, isn't it? Imitating God. It's a frightening one, too! What if I don't do it just right? What if through my imitation of God I would actually turn someone away from Him or Christ?

Perhaps when this was written, God wanted us to recall children and how they often play dress-up or imaginary games where they are the adults... When children do this, they are imitating us and it is preparation for life, as we know it, as they know it.

I sometimes laugh at our grandson as he tries to walk in Pawpa's motorcycle boots. He even pulls Pawpa's "do rag" off his head and tries to put it on his. When he has access to the motorcycle, Zachary will climb up in the seat. That tells and shows me that he wants to be like his Pawpa. His Pawpa recognizes and realizes that he has an awesome responsibility in the example he sets for his grandson.

A saying that sprang up in social service networks was, "Children live what they learn." And they do - good or bad. Let us live carefully then, so the children who imitate us will have a good example. As we do that, let us also imitate our Heavenly Father.

My prayer...

Lord God, Father of all heaven and earth - hear my prayer! Lord, fill my being with Your Spirit. Allow me the privilege of imitating You and may I do so in such a way that others are drawn to You. Help me to be a good and positive example to our grandchildren. And Lord, the true mark of character is not so much what you do when people are watching, but what you do when they aren't. In Jesus' name I pray ~Amen!

Yours, because we're His,

Tamara

4 comments:

  1. Be back to really comment in a few hours as I am off to my first class today.

    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that when I was reading your 'imitating' God I was thinking that so often it must be that we are more like irritating God and yet when you compare it to small children it is even comforting. For the little ones delight us and do try to imitate us but they also irritate us and yet we love them still! So our Heavenly Father can love us still!

    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your devotionals, Tamara. I would appreciate it if you would whisper a prayer for me...feeling a bit low tonight.
    Thanks, my friend.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I find it comforting to come here each night before sleep, I love your thought pattern and so appreciate your daily prayer. Luv ya.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are a source of encouragement.