Friday, December 18, 2009

Today's Devotional

TODAY’S VERSE
“Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.


Now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.”

Colossians 3:5-10

TODAY’S THOUGHT
Just say NO! Okay, so maybe it’s not quite that easy. But you have to admit that the attitude you take into a situation can help shape the outcome. If we can read this list that Paul gives us and determine that with God’s strength we are going to say “No” before we get into a challenging situation it will help.

Paul uses phrases like “Have nothing to do with” and “get rid of”. This indicates that God expects us to take some initiative, so action. What I like the best about today’s passage is the phrase, “Be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like Him.” So do we get victory over these sins because we focus on them and fight diligently to overcome them or because we focus on God and try to be more like Him? I know, I know, it's some of each, but I really believe that a positive focus will always win over the negative. Try what Paul suggests, focus on God, get to know Him, let Him mold you more into His likeness and He will help you take care of any negative behavior.


And let's be honest, this isn't an easy subject to address.  It helps to remember 1 Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." NIV  Just say NO!

TODAY’S PRAYER
Lord you know I want to live a life that pleases you. I don’t want to be sexually immoral, evil or greedy. I don’t want to be angry or full of slander or dirty language. I don’t want to lie. Help me today to focus on you. Help me to know you, to love you, to commune with you and I will trust you with all my other behaviors. Help me today, to be more like you. In Jesus Name I pray ~Amen!

Yours, because we're His,

Tamara

2 comments:

  1. I will trust the Lord with all my behaviors...
    Thank you, Tamara.
    Blessings to you, always.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always wise...always inspirational. I pray you have a beautiful Christmas, Tamara!!! God bless you!! Love, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are a source of encouragement.