Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Today's Devotional

TODAY’S VERSE
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
Colossians 3:12-14

TODAY’S THOUGHT
I like to determine the clothes I’m going to wear for the next day before I have to get up and go to work. It is one less thing I have to think about when I get up. It allows me to be more objective and intentional instead of rushing to decide what to wear. Paul shares that intentionally is also important in wearing the wardrobe that God has for us to wear. Paul uses the analogy of clothing because our behavior is something that people see about us. Just like a bad suit we look bad in negative behavior. Instead, Paul admonishes us to clothe ourselves in love. He then says to accessorize love with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, and forgiveness. What an ensemble. Can you imagine if we were intentional in putting on this behavior everyday? What a difference it would make in our life and the lives of those around us. Today, decide what you want to wear. It is your choice. God, through the power of the Holy Spirit, has custom made an outfit just for you. The clothes fit perfectly and bring out your true self. Go ahead, find a quiet changing room and go change. Clothe yourself today with love, compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and forgiveness.


TODAY’S PRAYER
Father, I know I need to wear something different in my heart. I haven’t been wearing the clothes you gave to me when I became a Christian. Help me today to change the clothes of my heart and put on love, compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and forgiveness.   Amen
~Tamara

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Tamara....
    Thank you so much. I'm not feeling well today...have a nasty cold...but wanted to come here and read your devotional...and am always glad that I do that.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder and challenge for us as believers. Sometimes to our shame but worth striving for each day till we go home to be with Jesus. Praise Him for His Grace and Mercy!
    In Christ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful thoughts, Tamara!
    What a great idea!
    I too (when I worked, or have somewhere special to go to) would lay out my clothes to wear for the next day, AND I did it for my kids too when they were very small, every night after I put them to bed I would lay out their outfits for the next day!
    Oh, now you have planted a wonderful seed for me, to think about the 'outfit' I will be putting on tomorrow, something pleasing to the Lord, something that will be beautiful in His sight. That will be the last thing I think of before I fall asleep, what things can I do that will be pleasing to God. How will I clothe my heart?
    Thank you!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are a source of encouragement.