Thursday, August 19, 2010

Update

I did not get the position I interviewed for, and that is perfectly alright.  I may be touching and influencing more lives as the prison librarian.  In fact, I'm adding a picture of the inside of my child's prayer book.  My daughter gave this to me when we were in Ohio in July.  Looking at the child's handwriting, I believe I may have been destined to become a librarian.

Please Return!  Isn't that just a hoot?

I thought I'd plug the program I'm doing with the inmates.  It's called Fatheread and the inmates are given five children's books to practice and then I record them on DVD.  They send the books, the DVD and homemade crafts home to their children.  This is all at no cost to the inmate, except for mailing the items home. Throughout the year, I do solicit donations from the community to keep the program going.  One inmate's family was so impressed by this program they sent a check in the amount of $500 to help fund it for other families.  That is a wonderful way to 'pay it forward'. 

The books I'm using are: Amelia's Road, Abiyoyo, The Bossy Gallito, Quick as a Cricket, and The Story of Ferdinand.  Each book covers a specific area of child development such as: what families value and establishing Independence.

















The inmates all have homework assignments in addition to practice reading the books.  They set goals and write a mission statement, I have them write their obituary, a poem or nursery rhyme for their child(ren), and then just some general reports and recommendations for program improvement.  The poem / nursery rhyme is returned and I ask them to send it home to their child(ren).

This session, I had one inmate father write that when he was growing up, no one ever read a book to him and he doesn't recall books in his home.  He insists these books that he is sending home to his children will become heirlooms and will be passed down from generation to generation.

And so it goes, until next time,

Tamara

4 comments:

  1. That last paragraph "moves" me! I'm SURE that your job there is so much more than a JOB. It is a ministry that reaches far beyond prison walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara...I hold you in the highest regard. You are touching lives in a postive way....I am moved to tears by the fact that no one read to this man and he had no books at home. God Bless You....
    From the bottom of my heart I send love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your comments are so kind. My basic premise is that when someone (male or female)goes to prison, their entire family serves the sentence with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tam, I found you again. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that you are giving your gift to those who need what you can offer. Thank you for allowing God to work through you and to change lives directly. Many of us never experience seeing the fruits of our actions/words. Keep on, sister!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are a source of encouragement.