Thursday, May 26, 2011

Proverbs 11:30 (New International Version)
30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and the one who is wise saves lives.
Winter was difficult here in the Southwest. Freeze and thaw, freeze and thaw… I don’t recall how many times that happened this past winter but it took a toll on trees in our area. We contracted with a professional tree trimmer who came this week and fell our eucalyptus tree. We’d had the fast growing tree for 15 years, had it ‘topped’ at least twice and it was still probably close to 40 feet tall. It was a difficult decision to make, but it was more dangerous to let her stand. (Why have I given the tree a feminine pronoun?)

The tree doctor and his assistant came at 6 a.m. to begin their work. I left for work early as I knew I would fret and mourn the loss of this tree and its shade – a valuable commodity here in Arizona. Even though the tree did not produce leaves this year and was obviously dead, it was still a difficult (and let’s not forget pricey) decision.

So the contractor began laying out his equipment. The saws, the ropes, the harnesses, the safety belts and the spikes for his boots… That’s when I saw him, he placed the safety belt/harness around the tree, then held the tree with both hands, bowed his head and prayed. I was amazed and comforted!

I left for work and at the end of the day dreaded what I would find (or better - not find) in my back yard when I returned home. The contractor cleaned up so well and even stacked the wood for our later use in the fire pit. The tree trunk was level to the ground. My husband Dennis had planted some geraniums around the patio, moved the Mexican clay chiminea to a new spot and had moved the water fountain to a new spot where I can sit on the patio and look and listen to it.

Dennis said the tree doctor found three nests in the tree – two old and unused and one that still had eggs in it. He said the tree doctor prayed over the nest before removing it. We had some Mourning Doves that we’re thinking were the eggs owners/family.

I am comforted by the fact the birds are still visiting what we had deliberately designed as a sanctuary for them and for the care, comfort and concern of our contractor! What a blessing in spite of loss. The remaining portion of the tree trunk is now holding a bird bath.


And so I pray:
Abba, Father – thank you for Your provision in not only the tree but in also leading us to the right contractor for its removal. Thank you that it was only one tree that needed to be removed and not the other two in addition. May our back yard be a place of respite and comfort for our grandchildren and for the birds that come to feed. In Jesus’ name I pray ~AMEN!
Yours, because we’re His,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are a source of encouragement.