Monday, September 5, 2011

Arizona Highways

Arizona Highways is a monthly publication with wonderful photographs and articles from around the state.  I once carried the magazine in the prison library until it was determined to be an escape aid.  It does have maps that could be utilized for that purpose and was thus administratively eliminated.

We live in rural southeastern Arizona. To travel to Phoenix, an approximate 3 and half hour trek, we must exit the community on Highway 70, which then turns into Highway 60 in the Globe, Miami, and Superior area.



Traveling through the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation, I watch for the subtle changes in the environment.  In particular, I wait for the lone sentinel of the desert, that first saguaro cactus that seemingly stands guard off to the right of the highway.  He soon will be joined by a myriad of other cacti in a silent tribute to this desolate land. 

The stately saguaro cacti remind me in some part of the Native Americans who also quietly watched the land and its changes while on the backs of their painted ponies, at least in my mind’s eye. 

The land, although beautiful in its stark contrasts, is a rough and rocky terrain that is frequented by minor canyons and washes.  I could never have been a pioneer woman in a Conestoga wagon traveling to a new land, a new homestead.   If my history lessons serve me right, there was a burial every seven miles along the westward trail and most of them were the children of the pioneers.

Recently on one of our return trips from the Phoenix area to our home, I found something interesting that I had not noted before:  between the small villages of Fort Thomas and Pima, Arizona, the mile markers jumped from 314 to 326.  A 12 mile difference!  What does this mean?  Are we, the citizens of this county being assessed road taxes for a fictitious portion of land?  Where are these missing 12 miles?  How did the Arizona Department of Transportation let this happen?  Inquiring minds want to know!  We, or at least I, want answers!

As if these questions were important.  More important are the lives that forged this nation, this country.  I don’t just mean the Anglo Saxton Protestants, either, but those whose land and lives were taken due to the fledgling nation’s belief in manifest destiny.  We American’s have quite a history.  Some of it good, some of it bad and some of it quite ugly.

Just the same, I can think of no other nation or country in which I would wish to live.

Proverbs 16:17
New American Standard Bible

17 The highway of the upright is to depart from evil;
He who watches his way preserves his life.

Tamara

4 comments:

  1. arizona is a beautiful state, and i love to
    study maps, too. just keep them out of
    the prison library! you could be judged
    an accessory. :)

    thanks for your funny remarks at my
    place. i worry about crossing the line
    sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lea! God gave us our 'jiggly parts' and a sense of humor. I can't fight it, I'm not going to have any surgeries to alter it, so I might as well embrace it and find the humor and laugh. It is good for the soul! And yes... I've been known to cross a line before. And I'll probably do it again! Hugz to you, my Sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves the desert. You are right about our country Tamara and I can only imagine how rough it had to be when it was all so new.
    About the mile markers, maybe someone just messed up?!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from, you Lady Di! Trust you're healing well and doing all your therapy? You're right... the mile marker thing was probably just an oversite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are a source of encouragement.