Saturday, January 21, 2012

THE BIG 6-0


¸.•°˚ˆ*♥¸¸.• N::I::F::T::Y •♥• N::I::F::T::Y •♥•  A::L::M::O::S::T •♥•  S::I::X::T::Y •¸¸.♥*ˆ˚°•.¸

I recall the funk and depression I went through on my 30th birthday. I don’t know why. Some preconceived and misguided conception on my part, I’m sure. Recently I began feeling that way again on this, the advent of my 60th birthday.

So, I started thinking, “What do I want to do, specifically, to herald this milestone?”
  1. Go on a cruise?
  2. Rent a Limo and take friends on a tour of the local vineyards?
  3. Shop until I drop?
  4. Make reservations at a fine restaurant?
  5. Make a trip to Ohio to visit my beautiful daughter?

All of the above (with exception to visiting my daughter) left me rather… well, unsettled.

Although I’d love to visit my daughter - not Ohio in the dead of winter! Sorry, Baby Cakes, I just can’t do the extreme winters anymore!

So again the question – what to do? How do I want to celebrate my BIG 6-0? I began to think about mortality and how would I like to be eventually be remembered. That’s when the idea began to form. Who says birthdays have to be about us?

I recalled reading a story about a little boy’s birthday party that was a bit different. He asked all his invited guests to bring items to fill a shoebox for the Operation Christmas Child by Samaritan’s Purse. He provided plastic containers for all the guests and the party goers assembled the shoe boxes. Then he and his family delivered the items to a local distribution center.
“…and a child shall lead them”
So, for my birthday week, I created a public event on Facebook asking persons to honor my 60th birthday by donating a canned good (or similar item) to be delivered to My Neighbor’s Panty (my church’s food bank). It can be dropped off at my house or take it yourself. If you are not from the area, then your local food bank would be wonderful. Truly, I believe no child in this country should go to bed hungry.

A number of friends from Ohio are donating to their local food banks. One dear friend told me of her church’s daycare where a single mom and her daughter are just barely making it. Every Thursday she anonymously provides her with enough groceries and snacks for them for over the weekend. You know who you are, and you have touched my heart so deeply!

A former classmate and dear friend who resides in Pennsylvania is donating food to a central food bank where her son serves in their day program. Hugs to you, my friend!

So very many comments and a number have said they will be doing something similar for their birthday! How wonderful is that?

I think there maybe the potential for this type of event to catch on for others. Even those of you reading this blog, if you’re so inclined – donate to a local food bank. It is after the holidays and this is a difficult time for them after having provided for so many during the holiday season.

Again I say, no child in this country should ever have to go to bed hungry.
Matthew 25:35-40
New American Standard Bible
For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;  naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
Tamara