Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Comfort Food


When I was a child, we had a garden. There were things that grew in that garden that I would not eat. Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, spinach, broccoli. I did eat the corn, the tomatoes, green beans my Nanny fixed with a bit of bacon.

I sometimes would help my Dad in the garden. When he planted, he always did it in three's: "one for you, one for me and one for the bird" is what he said. I now refer that as Dad's Trinity Planting Procedure.

I remember being called out in the cold autumn evening when a frost alert was declared and I would help harvest the tomatoes and other produce by flash light. It was not uncommon to end up with tomatoe on my face as Dad was fond of pulling them off and into me! Horrors! 

Within the next day or two my Nanny would cook up a grand pot of homemade vegetable soup. As I recall, everything but the beef in that soup was from our small urban garden.

I've developed new tastes since then and where I once referred to Brussel Sprouts as aborted cabbage, if only to emphasize my distaste for them I now have a deep and abiding fondness for them.

So tonight, I become the Brussel Sprout Gourmet - if only for the sake of my Daughter! Shannon, this post is for you and it is on how to fix Mommie Dearest's Brussel Sprouts!

Clean your Brussel Sprouts by immersing them in water. Trim the ends off then cut them in half. Allow them to soak for a while. Clean, slice and dice an onion. You can do all this while cooking up three slices of bacon you have diced. When the bacon crips, remove it to a plate lined with paper towel and let it drain.

Add the onion to the drippings and in another pan, sauté 2 - 3 tablespoons of Piñons (raw pine nuts). [I keep mine frozen as they turn rancid fast. They are also good raw on a salad!] Drain the Brussel Sprouts and keep watching the onion - you don't want it to burn! When the Piñons have turned a golden color, remove and drain them on paper towel, too.


 
Once the onions are "just right" add the Brussel Sprouts to the pan and stir well, add about 1/2 cup of Chicken Stock and a splash or two of Basalmic Vinegar. When it comes to just a boil, reduce the heat and cover with a lid and cook it for about 8 minutes. 




Remove it from the heat, put it into a serving dish and top with the bacon bits and Piñons and serve it up!


These are probably not the healthiest of veggie dishes, but they are perfectly "YUM"!

Psalm 34:8

Common English Bible

8 Taste and see
how good the LORD is!
The one who takes refuge in him
is truly happy!

Happy eating Baby Girl!

Your Momma - Grammy Tammy!